Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review: Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein


This is a harrowing, fictional account of a Scottish young lady captured and tortured by the Nazi’s in occupied France. It is in her own words as she writes her story while in prison detailing all of the secrets she’s been giving away in order to keep herself alive.  She is Queenie, Eva, Julie and Verity and through it all we must figure out who the real her is.  She’s an unreliable narrator of the highest order and while we try to unravel the truth or la vérité we come to understand her, love her and ache for her and what she is going through.
I wish I had better to words to describe this novel to you and give the story all its due, but I don’t.  I don’t want to give anything away so what I will say is that I loved it.  The writing was exceptional and the story original and the characters – their strength, hope and courage above all else was heartbreaking and inspiring.  It’s one of my favorite World War II books that I’ve read since The Book Thief.  You must read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment